Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Composting


It felt a lot like spring today at 76 degrees. Seemed like a good day to turn the compost.
I started this compost pile with a layer of browns, and then add a layer of greens, some old potting soil, and sprinkled in some blood meal. Mixed it well and add water as was necessary to moisten. I’m patient or lazy and use a Slow Compost Recipe: Slow composting is the least labor-and time-consuming way to compost. This method can take from six months or more produce compost, but usually don’t have to wait that long. I turn the pile occasionally to mix the materials together to prevent the materials from clumping together.
I use Organic trimmings from the yard, such as fallen leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, flowers and the remains of garden plants. I use Kitchen scraps, such as fruit and vegetable peels and trimmings, crushed eggshells, tea bags, and coffee grounds and filters when I can keep my husband from throwing them away.
It may seem like a lot of work but here are some reasons to try composting:
1. – Save the countryside (smaller landfill sites)
2. – Makes Healthy soil (rebuilds topsoil and microbial ecologies)
3. – Saves Money (use less commercial soil additives)
4. - Regenerates Nature (healthier plants and animals)
5. - Cleans air (Puts antioxidants into the atmosphere)

No comments:

Post a Comment